A new series of free public talks at the Brandon Public Library will bring Brandon University (BU) research to the community.
The inaugural season of the BU at the Public Library Speaker Series will kick off this Thursday, Sept. 19, as Doug Ramsey and Chris Malcolm discuss the importance of museums to communities and rural tourism in southwestern Manitoba.
The speaker series is a partnership with the Brandon Public Library and will consist of six events throughout the fall and winter, with all of BU’s faculties represented on this season’s schedule. The talks are open to all, allowing the University’s world-class research to be shared with the community. The events will also be catered by local restaurants, showcasing the diversity of Brandon’s downtown culinary scene.
Each talk will begin at 7 p.m., in Program Room of the Brandon Public Library, located in the Town Centre at 710 Rosser Ave.
The speaker series schedule includes:
- Thursday, Sept. 19 — The Importance of Museums to Communities and Rural Tourism in Southwestern Manitoba (Doug Ramsey & Chris Malcolm)
- Thursday, Oct. 24 — Beyond Town and Gown: The Impact of BU in Westman (David Docherty)
- Thursday, Nov. 21 — César Franck: Trials of a Teenage Composer (Jon-Tomas Godin) & Exploring Loneliness Over Time (Nancy Newall)
- Thursday, Jan. 16 — How a digital storytelling project is changing minds about the problem of autism in schools (Patty Douglas)
- Thursday, Feb. 13 — An Odyssey: Families’ Experiences Living with Acquired Brain Injury (Jane Karpa)
- People Living and Working Together: Jane Jacobs on City Planning and Ethics (Steve Robinson & Elisabeth Saftiuk)
- Brandon University
To receive any BU publication in an alternate format please contact Communications@BrandonU.ca
Success is built at Brandon University. Our growing, progressive campus welcomes a diverse and inclusive community that combines proud tradition with shared ambition. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders. Join us at BrandonU.ca.