Supports available for those affected by fire

This article is over 2 years old.

A large fire in downtown Brandon last night devastated an apartment block near Brandon University, and we know multiple members of our BU community were affected. While we do not know the full extent of the loss, we know it is severe. Brandon University is offering supports to any student, faculty member, or employee who needs them.

If you need a place to stay:

  • There are rooms available in BU Residence. Please contact Residence Manager Derek Booth at for emergency shelter, or to make arrangements for longer-term living. This is available to students, faculty members, and employees, including partners and spouses. Unfortunately, there are no Residence spaces currently available that are suitable for children.

If you need emergency cash support:

  • Students can access the Student Emergency Fund. Please contact Dean of Students Katie Gross at 
  • Faculty and staff can reach out to Human Resources to inquire about emergency funds. Please contact
  • These emergency funds are small grants, not loans, and do not need to be paid back. They are available to help cover immediate needs, like textbook replacement, food, new clothing, or toiletries.

If you need academic or employment accommodations:

  • We know that classes or work schedules are the last thing on your mind right now.
  • Students may reach out directly to their instructors, or to their Dean.
  • Faculty and staff should contact their direct supervisor to make any arrangements needed.

If you need counselling or other support:

  • This is a traumatic event. Please access the supports you need.
  • Students can talk to trained Personal Counsellors through Student Services, including online chat or phone options:
  • Students may also wish to access supports through the Brandon University Students’ Union, including advocacy, services, or the BU Food Bank. Visit the BUSU office between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or email
  • Faculty and staff have trained supports available to you through Homewood Health, available 24/7 online at or by phone at 1-800-663-1142
  • International students may wish to contact the BU Office of International Activities, who can reach out to the Embassies here in Canada if your passport/study permit and other identification has been destroyed and can help you in having these renewed. Contact them at or 204-727-7479.

 If you would like to help:

  • Gifts to help replenish the Student Emergency Fund can be made to Brandon University Foundation by mail to 270–18th Street, Brandon, MB, R7A 6A9, online at, or by phone to 204-727-7374.
  • Donations to the BU Food Bank can be brought to the BUSU office anytime between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Family items like cereal, as well as proteins like canned meats, peanut butter, and beans, are most in need.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with everyone who is affected by this fire.


To receive any BU publication in an alternate format please contact

About BU

Success is built at Brandon University. Our growing, progressive campus welcomes a diverse and inclusive community that combines proud tradition with shared ambition. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders. Join us at