Brandon University’s annual Family and Friends Holiday Luncheon has once again raised thousands of dollars for Brandon and Westman Christmas Cheer.
Ahead of the luncheon, many departments and areas on campus put together gift baskets stuffed with goodies — everything from a mini fridge to an Instant Pot — and sold raffle tickets. There was also a regular 50/50, which increased to a 60/40 at the luncheon itself.
This year’s theme was “A Miracle on 18th Street,” riffing on the classic movie. About 180 people attended this year’s luncheon.
Altogether, this year’s efforts brought in $3,325 for Christmas Cheer. A cheque was presented at the luncheon, where attendees were told that the money will go towards the estimated $60,000 that is required each year to provide hampers and gifts for more than a thousand families and more than two thousand children in Westman.
Rick Ryder and Dennis McQuiston from Brandon and Westman Christmas Cheer
Since the basket raffle was initiated in 2013, members of the BU community have donated a total of about $24,000 to Christmas Cheer. Thank you everyone who has helped us get to that incredible total.
There were 13 baskets in all, and here is a list of the winners:
- Basket #1 – Ale – Dean’s Council — Claudia Wurtz
- Basket #2 – Gift Card Tree – Faculty of Education — Irene Clarke
- Basket #3 – Good for You – Financial & Registration Services — Marian Ramage
- Basket #4 – Jingle Pot- Faculty of Arts — Trent Gill
- Basket #5 – 13 Ways to Get Lucky – Advancement/External Relations — Michelle Melnyk
- Basket #6 – Baileys Basket – Faculty of Health Studies — Claudia Wurtz
- Basket #7 – Get together with Friends – School of Music — Doug Ramsey
- Basket #8 – Mystery Box – Ancillary Services — Bob Lee
- Basket #9 – Bobcats Gift Basket – Athletics and HLC — Kathryn Hyndman
- Basket #10 – Sports Package – Human Resources — Iris Wang
- Basket #11 – Hotel Stay at Home – Student Services, Registrar’s Office and Senate Office — Caleb Wollman
- Basket #12 – Merry & Bright – Faculty of Science — Kerrie Binions
- Basket #13 – Cheers to a New Decade – President’s Office/VP’s Office — Andrea McDaniel
There were also eight door prizes, thanks to the generosity of Forbidden Flavours, Campus Books and Athletics. Those were won by David Docherty, Michelle Lam, Karen Skinner, Kelly Robinson, Lisa Robson, Jesse Roziere, Mike Malazdrewicz, and Michelle McFarlin.
And the lucky winner of the 60/40 draw was Donna Neufeld, who took home $210.
- Brandon University
To receive any BU publication in an alternate format please contact Communications@BrandonU.ca
Success is built at Brandon University. Our growing, progressive campus welcomes a diverse and inclusive community that combines proud tradition with shared ambition. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders. Join us at BrandonU.ca.