Brandon University will come together as a community and continue to advance the causes of diversity, tolerance and reconciliation after an overnight fire that destroyed a ceremonial tipi on campus.
This is a painful and distressing offense to a powerful Indigenous symbol. It does not shake our commitment nor our confidence. It will only strengthen our efforts towards reconciliation.
The tipi had been erected in the courtyard yesterday to celebrate the start of a conference, and additional tipis as well as a pipe ceremony are planned for today. All are going ahead. Brandon University has proudly been home to many tipis in the past without incident and we will continue to be. This fire, while hurtful, only reinforces the ongoing need to celebrate and honour Indigenous culture.
- EVENT: Community tipi-building at 1 p.m.
- UPDATE: See our Facebook page for photos from the community tipi-building. Thank you to all who joined.
Even isolated incidents like these can cause emotional impacts that require care and attention. We remind our entire BU community that we have services here to support you.
- Our counselling services are located on the first floor of the Mackenzie Building, room 105 or call 204-727-9737 to set up an appointment. More information is available online: https://www.brandonu.ca/student-services/personal-counselling/
Faculty & Staff:
- Please take advantage of the many resources available to you through LifeWorks. Information is posted on the HR website: https://www.brandonu.ca/hr/benefits/employee-assistance-program/
- We are investigating crisis supports to be on campus as soon as possible.
- The Brandon Friendship Centre can direct you to appropriate supports at 204-727-1407
- He Oyate Tawapi, the Brandon University Ceremony Room, is open as a quiet space. He Oyate Tawapi is located in the Health Studies Building.
- Brandon University
To receive any BU publication in an alternate format please contact Communications@BrandonU.ca
Success is built at Brandon University. Our growing, progressive campus welcomes a diverse and inclusive community that combines proud tradition with shared ambition. Through our excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship, we educate students to make a meaningful difference as engaged citizens and leaders. Join us at BrandonU.ca.